Monday, March 4, 2013

Will I be a Ravenclaw? Griffyndor? Slytherin?

Today, March 5th 2013 marks the beginning of my journey into the Peace Corps. 

It is now just shy of 12:30 AM and I just finished packing.  Of course, my mom had been on my ass for the entire month that I've been here to start. But, what better time to start packing for a two year adventure than 3 nights before you leave?  Besides, I had a heavy schedule of living like Sally Field at the end of Forest Gump - waking up at 11, subsisting mainly on burgers and pizza.  Naturally, now that I've packed, I have about a million things running through my mind as to what it is I might have missed or glossed over.  I am comforted, however, by the wise words of a RPCV (Returned Peace Corps Volunteer).  When I was first offered this position, back in November, I was freaked the fuck out.  I didn't know where to go because I felt simultaneously ecstatic and terrified.  The time between being offered and accepting a position is about 10 days.  In that time you are given information on your position and assigned country which includes letters from RPCVs.  One of them spoke directly to me, citing that "wonderful" period of the unknown, that I was living in.  She advised using the time in the States to spend as much time with friends and family as possible and eat all the food you can.  Well, in that aspect, I have no regrets.  I have a phenomenal support system here and they have propelled me to where I am.  I love them all dearly.  The food is on the same par. 

Though, at this point, it feels like all I've been doing for the past several weeks is talking about my feelings, I feel a rush of reality brushing against my face like a cool oceanfront breeze.  It's not harsh, it's welcome, but it's so surreal.  I've been perpetually doubting my decision, as I have done with all of my decisions (from 6 pack hair scrunchy 6 v. 12 pack to Salem v. Southwestern).  Being in the Peace Corps means I will be far from home in an uncertain environment for 27 months.  Is that a risk I'm willing to take?  What's surreal about it is that as I finished packing my bags I realized that this is one of my dreams coming true, a dream I've had for a while.  To join the Peace Corps, to build community in a Spanish speaking country, to be able to speak Spanish fluently, etc.  And here it is.  Maybe that's why I've been so reticent to pack, because I didn't actually believe that this would pan out.  The whole process took eons and for the actual day that I leave to be today is unreal. 

The job that I will have is referred to as a health promoter.  In this particular sector, in Nicaragua there are two projects that currently exist.  One of which is targeted towards maternal and child health while the other is more focused on informal sexual education, specifically targeted towards teens.  What's so cool about this job is that it is exactly what I was looking for, whether it would have been in the States or abroad.  I am excited about the new people that I will meet and of course, for the new food that awaits. 

I've purchased a few books on Nicaragua and just finished "The Country Under My Skin" a few days ago.  This book tells the story of the Sandanista revolution through the life of an upper class woman who joins the ranks in the very beginning.  This book got me excited to learn more about the history and culture of the country. 

Additionally, I've have people on the inside.  A professor of mine who did his field work there in the 80s and fellow Southwestern alumna who studied abroad in Managua.   My professor gave me a great selection of books to read as well as an eagerness to live with the incredibly kind Nicaraguans and my colleague gave me some insights into life in Nica please! 

Timeline:

March 5 - Staging in D.C; Leave DFW @ 8, arrive at 12 to begin staging at 12:30 (I'm still unsure as to what staging means)

March 6 - Leave D.C for Managua (the capitol of Nica).  Marks the beginning of 3 day retreat with all 33 volunteers.

March 9 - Leave Managua for training city (TBD - I believe determined by outcome of language test) where I will be with 3 - 4 other volunteers

End of May - Sworn in.  Receive instruction on post.  Leave training; begin service. 

3 comments:

  1. Amanda! You're such a great writer - I am so looking forward to hearing about your adventures, and so pleased that you are sharing them here.
    Glad you read Giaconda Belli, too. She's awesome. You might also enjoy the writing of Claribel Alegria (another Nicaraguan woman who worked with the Sandinistas), though probably the time for leisure reading is gone once you step off the plane...
    ¡Buen viaje, amiga!

    (PS - I'm Tamara.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud you are realizing this wonderful dream you have imagined into existence. I love you and I was hardly on your ass all month Sally

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tamara, thanks so much! I loved her book! It got me really excited to learn more about the political history here. Mom, thank you! Not sure why you said "Sally" though.

    ReplyDelete