Wednesday, March 6, 2013

No Sleep till...NICA!!!!

Right now, I'm sitting by the pool writing this post to you from our hotel in Managua.  Getting here and what we've learned thus far has been quite a journey.

Yesterday as mom and I drove to the airport she asked me if I knew where staging was or how I would get there.  I had posed this question to the Facebook group that I had joined but, alas, received no response. So, as I was sitting in the boarding area awaiting my flight, I noticed a guy dressed in business casual with his blue Peace Corps folder inviting him to serve.  As I said my goodbyes to friends and family over the phone I kept him in mind.  When I landed and was not greeted by signs that said Peace Corps I found solace in my new friend, Kyle.  He was, of course a Peace Corps volunteer and we rode to the hotel where staging was to be held together. 

There, I met all 32 volunteers and though I am still having a bit of trouble with learning and hearing names correctly, I am thoroughly excited to have met all of my new "family."  My fellow volunteers have a great sense of humor (thank God!) and are all very sweet.  Several icebreakers, a pop tart, some pistachios, and a nutter butter later we all went out to dinner where I had some pork belly, a slice of pizza, an apple and almond salad for my last meal. 

During staging we had to read over the Peace Corps mission and select a section that really resonated with us.  I chose the characterization of the P.C. as "a nontraditional government agency that reflects the most enduring values and ideals of the American people: generosity, civic pride, a strong work ethic, and a commitment to service."  When I returned from Ecuador I felt very disillusioned as an American and as though I didn't really identify with that part of myself because I disagreed so strongly with a lot of the actions of the United States government, especially concerning foreign policy.  In reading this, however, I realize that being an American citizen allows me to dissent from the government.  Not only that, but to create a better reality with my version of truth and justice.  I was in a room full of people that were doing just that, as Americans. 

This morning we had to be at the airport by 2 a.m. so,got a full 15 minutes of sleep (Ballin).  The airport counter didn't even open till 4 a.m. (Hello Bananagrams!).  When we passed through customs there were volunteers with welcome signs that said "Stay Healthy" as a nod to our health extension group (v. the small business development group that is part of our family as well.) I was SO excited to be here I'm pretty sure I was saying "hehe!"  All of the feelings of sadness for leaving home and self doubt dissipated and were instantly replaced with ecstatic excitement and confidence.  Volunteers took our bags and we all piled into vans for our 45 minute trek to our hotel in Managua. 

We had some excellent food which included rice with veggies, chicken with roasted peppers, fried plantains and fresh melon juice.  It was so damn good.  After that we went onto more icebreakers and information.  A lot of us are runners, crafters, musicians and we share a lot of the same fears: homesickness, creepy crawlers, and bathroom accommodations (poop in a hole?).  I did learn, however, that most sites either have a tureen or a toilet.  Better than pooping in a hole?  We'll see!

We are going to have a language assessment tomorrow which will set us up for where we will be but I learned that we will be in one of the four following towns for training:

1. La Paz
2. El Rosario
3. Dolores
4. Diriamba

We will soon learn where exactly I will be placed as we meet our host families for our pre-service training on Saturday.

It's hot here but it's beautiful.  Most volunteers have sled down the San Cristobal Volcano, hiked Volcano Concepcion, and ran a 25 K atop one of the various volcanoes here.  It's cool now that it's evening.  Perfect weather.  Welcome to Nica. This is how we do it!

3 comments:

  1. Amanda, your writing is great! I am thrilled you have this blog! I love what you said about being surrounded by like minded Americans -creating a better reality with your version of truth and justice. Keep those Al Gore Internet jokes coming.
    It sounds so beautiful there. So excited for you. I love you. I hope you get some rest. So glad you made it safely. All my love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, thank you! That's very sweet and it definitely resonated with me. Can you help me with my laptop?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should have an elephant at your wedding

    ReplyDelete