Tuesday, March 19, 2013

El Gringo se me urino...

Today, around 10:30 we had a ten minute break wherein our professor made us coffee (thank God!).  Isabel and Lucy were chatting and Patrick was doing God knows what, so I decided I would play with "Gringo."  Patrick has 2 dogs and a cat.  One of the dogs is a 6 month old German Sheppard.  Now, two of my dear friends have German Sheppards and they hold a special place in my heart.  They are smart, kind, and full of personality.  "Gringo" is no exception.  When I approached him outside, he was sitting under the sink where laundry is done.  When I called him over, at first he seemed reproachful.  "Gringo" can be very excitable and often jumps on visitors.  Most dog owners discourage this behavior.  Patrick's family is no exception.  Regardless, as he began to warm up, his immediate response was to jump on me.   He then began to pee all over my feet.  I immediately shut the door and exclaimed "que hasgo!"  When our professor asked what happened, I explained "El Gringo se me urino."  After she finished laughing, she helped me wash up. 

Around 4, I embarked upon my first run with Patricio's sister, Roxy, and her friend, Mary.  It was my understanding that we would be walking/running for 5 km.  I was taken aback, therefore, when she told me it was 5 km out and 5 km back.  Regardless, it was an excellent experience wherein I was able to strengthen relationships with Nicas, explore our site and the surrounding pueblos, while all the while practicing my Spanish. 

Pues, during our 2 hour walk, we had plenty to talk about.  So I of course told them about what had happened earlier that morning.  While telling the story, I kept referring to "Gringo" and saying "El Gringo se me urino" or "[The] Gringo peed on me."  When I finished telling the story, Roxy laughed and told me that the dog's name was actually Ringo.  At this point, Mary told us that she didn't realize Roxy had a dog named Ringo.   So the whole time I was telling this story, she thought I was talking about "The gringo" who "peed on me."  The gringo, she took, to be Patrick. 

When we got back to the house, I inhaled a tortilla filled with cotija cheese and the best avocado I've ever had.  With a boost of energy, I thanked them and headed home.  Today is one of the best days I've had in my training town.  As tomorrow marks the beginning of our third week here in Nicaragua, I'm glad my second week is ending on such a positive note.


Va pues.       

No comments:

Post a Comment