Monday, May 20, 2013

Mead

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." -- Margaret Mead

Things I´m proud of:
1. My relationship with my host nephew.  Yesterday, as I was bagging my groceries, with my back facing the entrance, I noticed a small child out of the corner of my eye fast approaching.  Boop.  I felt a light tap on my butt.  As I turned around, prepared to deflect a potential pervert, there he was, about a third my size, looking up at me with a smile, as his mom walked away laughing.  A reminder to take things less seriously.


My host dad and host nephew.
2.  The relationships that I have formed in the community of Diriamba.  It is remarkable to me to think that when we left Hotel Ticomo, I was so terrified, I was nearly ready to board a plane back to the States.  Now, I have an entire network of support, a mere two hour school bus ride from my site.  A home away from home. A host family who, after preparing them a nice Texas meal, missing only a cold Shiner, has reiterated that if I ever need anything, they are here to welcome me with open arms.  My 1st Spanish facilitator, who has been there for me in every time of need, from when I got a parasite during practicum week to the panic attack that washed over me when we received our sites.  My neighbor, whose personality´s volume matches my own.  My Nica 61 Family.  Where we go one, we go all.
TX Represent.  Burgers and mashed taters.  My cooking, my host mom informed me, will undoubtedly help me find a husband.
3.  The amount that my Spanish has progressed since my study abroad in Ecuador.  I can still remember our program director getting on our case because we were literally, the worst group she had ever had in terms of the amount of English that we spoke in front of each other.  Como was every other word in the interactions with my host family.  Now, I am living, dreaming, and working in Spanish.

4.  The transformation that I have made in terms of food preferences.  I can say, without a shadow of a doubt that before coming here, rice and beans would not have entered my mouth if I was asked for foods that I generally enjoyed.  Now, eating gallo pinto, or rice and beans, for both breakfast and dinner, with a tortilla, is something that I find myself comforted by.  Drinking out of a bag has become the norm.  Further, the adjustment that my body has made to the changes in my diet is remarkable.  It just does it all on it´s own.  Bosshawg.

Gallo Pinto and Avocado.  I die.

Raspados.  Shaved Ice drizzled with syrup.  Like snow cones but more syrupy.


5.  As we all know, I am a loud individual.  Around people that I first meet, however, it´s slow and steady.  At past jobs I´ve had, it´s taken me several months to be comfortable with myself in front of people I´ve only just met.  As soon as I stepped off the plane, you couldn´t get me to shut up even if you tried.  Being able to be this comfortable right off the bat has made this adjustment so much easier in that it has enabled me to be open and honest with everyone.  Not only that, but I´ve been able to find some pretty hilarious folks down here.  Which, let me just say, thank you sweet baby jesus for that!  I might have turned to dust by now had I been surrounded by squares.

This is our last week in Diriamba.  Thursday morning we leave for Managua for a full day at the embassy.  Unfortunately, no cameras are allowed.  If they find you with one, they force you to delete all of your photos.  Fortunately, we are going to the frickin embassy!  In the morning we´ll be getting a tour.  Then in the afternoon, we´ll be spending our time in the house at the top of the hill the embassy is located on swimming, grillin, and chillin out relaxin maxin all cool.  We stay the evening in Managua and then Friday we swear in as volunteers.  Though it´s almost too much to process, I am reminding myself that this is what I came here for, to serve as a Peace Corps Volunteer.  On top of that, the friends that I´ve made, though they won´t be a stone´s throw away, will be my adventure companions and confidantes for the next two years.  Two members of our family are coming to watch the swearing in festivity so look forward to many fancy pictures of me and my family and new friends!  We´ll stay in Managua that evening, as well as an extra free day on Saturday to enjoy with friends before leaving to Rivas on Sunday.

Diriamba.

For my Birthday, my friend Isabel, true to form, asked me what my goals are for the coming year.  Here they are folks.
1. Prioritize my health and self care.
2. Welcome the positive.  Reject the negative.  I did a meditation class with my mom a year or so ago.  During this class, we were instructed to close our eyes and as we breathe out, envision negativity as a black cloud of smoke leaving your body, as you breathe in, envision positivity as a white cloud of smoke entering your body.  Even in my running, I´m starting to visualize positive outcomes.  Completing a mile, completing service, etc. as a medium to welcome the positive.
3.  Integrate into my community.  Though it may be more comfortable to rely upon my site mates, I will make a concerted effort to creat a Nicaraguan web of support.

A literal Carrot Cake, a Nicaraguan take on an American postre.  Courtesy of my fantastic friends, topped with the words Happy Birthday, Little Rabbit.  Featuring Monica as a ghost.

The carrots here are ginormous.  My cake was topped with this bad boy.  Cake and veggies.

I´ll be working on ways to make those goals more measurable so that they are quantifiably changeable.  Will keep you posted.  Thank you for all of the support back home.  I am so blessed to have such a phenomenal support system.

Oh yeah, Come VISIT!!!

Until next time, va pues...


No comments:

Post a Comment