Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Feels Like Home

Right after practicum week, we went to Managua so as to process our different experiences.  Small business volunteers had been spread out while the 15 health volunteers were split into two groups: one in Nueva Guinea and the other in San Ramone.  During one of our charlas in Managua we had to go around and share what was the biggest thing that was bothering us.  Many people mentioned dietary changes and different cultural adjustments.  I shared, that one of the hardest things for me was my host sister's family.  Her little one, Luis, was not a fan of me.  Since getting back, things have improved drastically.

Many families, as the sun begins to set and the world we live in, without airconditioning, is cooled by a gentle breeze that takes us into the night, will sit outside of their houses in rocking chairs as they watch nearly everyone in the city pass by.  It seems as though they know everyone as they greet everyone with "adios" which is a kinder way of saying hello without stopping to chat.  As I turn the corner from my day of Spanish class, I find my mom and dad and Luis.  He now runs to me as soon as he spots me and jumps into my arms.  Needless to say, our relationship has changed greatly.  The change in this relationship is one of the things I am most proud of to date during my service.  I made a decision to stop being terrorized by him and befriend him. 

As the rest of my family and my neighbor post up on the sidewalk, I talk with my mom about everything.  She has become my confidante.  About a week ago I had a really rough day where, after speaking with family back home, I was left feeling very homesick.  Though my sister back home was able to calm me down, I still felt as though I was about to burst.  When I told my host dad that I was going to work on a project, he held my hand very tightly to give me his love as I'm sure he could tell I was struggling.  When I got back home, my host mom was watching my favorite novela, Fina Estampa.  As I laid down with her to share what I had been struggling, she shifted instantly from a position of relaxation to one of consternation.  I told her everything and she couldn't have been more supportive.  She told me that even if it is hard for me to speak with family back home, it's nice for them to hear my voice, to know that I'm okay.  She told me how important the work I am doing here is, and how proud my family is.  We then talked about her kids and her experience as a 20something.  She is, truly, an amazing woman.  The next morning, she made me pancakes.  There seems to be a pancake trend, which I love!  Sometimes when I have a big day ahead, or she knows that I am really busy, or stressed out, she will make me pancakes for breakfast. 

My host dad, who is definitely a sports fan, is also salt of the earth.  The first time I saw him watching a baseball game, it was a Sox game.  He immidiately proclaimed his disdain for the Yankees and love for the Rangers.  It was then that I knew that we would get along perfectly.  On Jackie Robinson, we watched an ESPN special on his life, which for some reason was broadcast in English without being dubbed.  So, while the Jackie Robinson's wife recounted the first time she saw him play, I translated her words for my host dad.  Both of my host parents are now retired.

When I got back from praciticum week, if you'll remember, my neighbor invited me to a dance class that was to begin that following Monday.  This dance class is Bachata and Cumbia with a group of about 6 women, most of whom are in their 50s - 60s and one of their daughters who is about 15.  As I leave the house, around 7 for Yanina's, Luis will ask me where I'm going.  One evening, as I was running a bit late, he accompanied me.  At first he was just sitting in the corner, watching, as everyone implored him to dance.  After about 10 minutes, he began to follow along.  Had he been any bigger, he would have undoubtedly run into several people.  My neighbor remarked "mira al abuelo!" or "look at the granpa!"

In the past couple of weeks, we've had two birthday's in our training town.  This has been an excellent opportunity to catalyze the love of birthdays I have, in other people. Though not everyone is on my level, we did get a chance to celebrate both!  We went to Jinotepe last week and were able to go to a scenic overlook today for another friend's 24th. 



As my birthday looms upon us in the upcoming month, I know that she will be asking me this question of me.  So, it’s gotten me thinking about just that.  Last year, 2012, I set several goals for myself rather than creating new years resolutions.  Among them: running a marathon and visiting Buenos Aires (check, check).  This year, however, I have yet to do so.   Perhaps because I wasn’t sure what my goals could be because of the uncertainty of the territory I was going to.  For this reason, my birthday will be an excellent time to create a list of goals for myself to be completed in my first year of service.    Next week, the week of Luce’s birthday, we will be receiving notice of our to be sites.  The following week, also known internationally as the week before my birthday, we will be visiting our sites to get a taste of what our lives will be like as volunteers.  Therefore, the week of my birthday will be our last full week of training before swearing in and going off to our respective sites.  At this time, I intend to have a complete list of goals for the following year.  This, of course, can be compounded upon throughout the year.

In Nicaragua, there is a race that consists of different lengths, much like a half/full marathon but is instead calibrated in Kilometers, which I, as an North American, am still struggling to understand.  This race takes place every year and is set around a volcano and consists of 25/50/100 km.  My 1st goal that I have is to participate in this race during my first year here.
 
Secondly, I will go volcano sledding.  The reason so many recreational activities are set around volcanoes is because Nicaragua (which literally translates to surrounded by water) is considered  la tierra de volcanes y lagos (land of volcanoes and lakes).  I am very excited to explore this country and to find out where my site will be.

What is taken into consideration, for the most part, is the work that you are interested in.  I am interested mainly in empowerment, for young girls specifically, working in the realm of domestic violence, and working with prevention and youth in general.  We will see where this takes me, whether that be to a very small pueblo of less than 1,000 people or a much larger site like Leon, only time will tell.  Though there is a great deal of anticipation around receiving this information, I am excited to know where I will be and what my specific assignment.  And of course to transition from aspirante or trainee to volunteer, which happens tomorrow.  AHHHHHH!!!!  Will keep you posted! 

Hoping all is well stateside.  Va pues.

3 comments:

  1. I am simply commenting to send you a big hug. XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you my dear! I am relishing your virtual love and sending it right back! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you! I am crying..so wonderful!! All of it! So proud! Love love xoxoxo thank you for call in today! Muah!!!

    ReplyDelete