Tuesday, September 10, 2013

My Journey



Every single moment of service is so vastly different.  On days when the brilliant blue sky is free of clouds, I have a perfect view of Volcano Concepcion (the largest volcano on the island of Omotepe) on my 20 minute walk from the center of town to my home.  I am reminded that happiness is a journey.  I wake up and miss home so badly that I begin to visualize myself boarding the plane back.  Getting out of bed is low on my list of priorities.  I do anyway.  Nearly every day I take a look at what it is that I’m doing here.  Why I’m sacrificing.  It’s simple really.  I’m here to help.  I repeat the words.  I’m here to help.

The journey is where I find it.  In the spirit of the kindergartners I give a hand washing charla to, in the way my counterpart is consistently on my side, in creating new ideas, making things, in the familiar faces that greet me around every corner, in the new family I love, in the best avocado and fried fish I’ve ever had, and in a run that enables me to explore uncharted territory and catch a glimpse of the sunset that contrasts the deep full leaves of trees against the bold orange and pink sunset that seem to blur together, one of many beautiful sights that makes me grateful to call it home. 

Volcan Concepcion on my way home.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment